I decided to take on the task of creating one of these structures for myself. The main difference is that they had literally thousands of dollars worth of program and equipment at their disposal and I did not.
So my first step was to create the pattern in a printable format. In a few hours I wrote a program that generates the pattern based on a few customizable variables and exports it to PDF for easy printing. I wrote the program in Processing so this part was completely free. I made a few variations of the pattern and took them over to the print shop. I printed $0.90 worth of copies. Then I choose one I liked the most and spent about a half hour cutting each line by hand with a razor knife.
Here is the pattern I went with (it's scaled down a bit and saved as a PNG because Blogger won't let me post the PDF):